And for those who cry out that because Obama is President, racism could not possibly exist in our country (with a system of deeply imbedded racism so ingrained that there’s actually a term for it called institutionalized racism-meaning it can’t leave), we have this charming story of a stellar genius working at a New York Papa John’s pizza joint with the incredible depth of character (yes, I’m killing the facetious trick here, ain’t I?) to actually type the racial slur of “lady chinky eyes” on her receipt.
I’m surprised, given our current economy and society, Papa John’s didn’t promote this kid to CEO of the over-priced pizza chain, rather than release him from service.
Here’s one video of the story, which has a million other links to it below:
At any rate, this story deserves attention if only to let giant corporate behemoths like Papa John’s know that racist behavior still is inappropriate and that racists should try to understand (somehow) that there are humans living out there who can function as real people and still not have to look like them or speak like them in order to live real, authentic lives.
Following that, is the piece of an elementary school in Norcross, Georgia, Beaver Ridge Elementary specifically, which appears to be trying a decidedly different approach toward teaching math; using racist (and certainly demeaning) word puzzles to try to teach math. Way to go!
Here’s a local news affiliate’s story on the matter. Apparently the teachers involved will not be dismissed.
You might have to click on this image and enlarge it to be able to read the cute little math quiz question about how many slaves could pick so many oranges to fill a basket; and yes there are others, apparently.
Below are other video news links to the story:
- Hilarious: Papa John’s employee calls woman ‘Lady Chinky Eyes’ on sales receipt (bazaardaily.com)
- Papa John’s Employee Unwisely Decides to Call Customer ‘Lady Chinky Eyes’ [Poor Judgment] (jezebel.com)
- This Happened: Asian Woman Called ‘Lady Chinky Eyes’ On Papa John’s Receipt (mediaite.com)
- Papa John’s Employee Calls Woman ‘Lady Chinky Eyes’ on Receipt (maboulette.wordpress.com)
- “my name isn’t lady chinky eyes” (eugenecho.com)
- Papa John’s pizza apologizes for racial receipt, fires employee (thegrio.com)
- Papa John’s ‘Lady Chinky Eyes’ Racial Slur Causes Outrage (PHOTO) (blippitt.com)
- Papa John’s apologizes for receipt’s racial slur (cnn.com)
- Papa John’s apologizes for racial slur (csmonitor.com)
- Papa John’s Fires Employee For Using Racial Slur To ID Korean Woman On Receipt (newyork.cbslocal.com)
- ‘Lady Chinky Eyes’: Papa John’s Store Calls Woman Racial Slur In Receipt (PHOTO) (huffingtonpost.com)
- Papa John’s Fires Employee for Slur, Needs to Do More (mediabistro.com)
- Papa John’s: A lesson in coordinating crisis communications (heidi-miller.com)