Leave it to Archie and the liberal folks at Archie Comics to make the January 2012 edition of “Life with Archie” the first comic book (at least to my limited knowledge of comics) in history to feature an interracial same-sex marriage prominently (on the cover).
It was a long time coming, and it’s encouraging to see that even though gay marriage for the most part is still not legally recognized in the United States, it’s perfectly okay in Archie comics land. Now, my question is, will minors be able to purchase this edition of “Life with Archie” or will it be some kind of bunk that requires parental approval or behind the counter sales?
At any rate, it’s good to see and we can only hope that one day, somehow, this same type of marriage is both permitted and recognized in the US as a legitimate bond between two flesh and blood adults and not some kind of cartoon mash up that’s akin to watching an acrobat in a polio ward.
Here’s a link to the piece:
- Historic Comic Cover of the Day (thedailywh.at)
- LOOK: Archie Comics Celebrates Gay Wedding In January Issue (huffingtonpost.com)
- Archie Comics First Look: Life With Archie #15 (graphicpolicy.com)
- Same-sex Marriage To Be Depicted In Upcoming Archie Comics (blogs.forbes.com)
- Archie Comics First Look: Sonic Select Vol. 4: Zone Wars (graphicpolicy.com)
- Archie Comics in February 2012 (graphicpolicy.com)
- Archie Comics Teams Up With Ronald McDonald House New York For 70th Anniversary (newyork.cbslocal.com)
- Archie Comics First Look: The Magic Of Sabrina The Teenage Witch (graphicpolicy.com)
- Archie Comics First Look: World Of Archie Double Digest #12 (graphicpolicy.com)
- “Yesterday’s Comic”> Archie: Free Comic Book Day Edition #2 (bwmedia.wordpress.com)