Appearing on NorthJersey.com, comes this story about a black woman hired as a teacher and then fired just two days later.
She is alleging racism, among other charges, against the local area school district.
Obviously, I certainly don’t know all the facts of the matter and am not a lawyer (although I’ve mediated many cases and worked as a probation officer as well as a teacher), but the story seems unbalanced to say the least.
According to the story, the teacher’s salary was lowered, her schedule changed, her classroom teaching duties altered, and she was treated disrespectfully.
From the NorthJersey.com article:
“She also alleged in the suit that the principal and a teacher wanted to set her up to break the law by having her change classrooms between periods, thereby forcing her to release students early and unsupervised to accommodate the switch.
Williams challenged this decision, and the next day, Raymond Bandlow, who then was the superintendent, arrived with a police officer — who was armed — to escort her from the building, the suit states.”
If all of this occurred within two days of just starting a job, it may or may not be racial profiling, but it is most assuredly whack to the max and unlike any story I’ve ever heard. Every teacher and public (and private) school administrator on the planet knows that no teacher is supposed to have students unsupervised at any time; so to demand that a teacher actually do that makes no logical sense. I would’ve called Human Resources immediately, then the local school union representative and ask for legal counsel.
Were they out to get her (possible), inept, or was there something else going on here?
Please read this story and let me know your thoughts on this.
- Colo. Teachers To Get Their Own Report Card (huffingtonpost.com)
- New Release by Educator Gives Both Unique and Universal Insights Into Feelings; Book by Margaret Dunajski Harde (prweb.com)
- Teachers Fired for Reporting Abuse: Lawsuit (abcnews.go.com)
- DC Teacher Initiates Wrongful Termination Lawsuit Against Michelle Rhee Amidst Mass Firings (prweb.com)
- Happy Birthday to Mr. Santhosh (justharshal.wordpress.com)
- Bill would change teacher employment rules ()
- Reminder for Teachers – Keep Those Receipts! (turbotax.intuit.com)
- Dearborn: Teacher, in lawsuit claiming Arab Muslim harassment, is fired (creepingsharia.wordpress.com)
- “Facebook Law” Faces Lawsuit: Teachers Sue Missouri (legallyeasy.rocketlawyer.com)
- Missouri Teachers Sue for Right to Friend Students on Facebook (techland.time.com)
- 80-Year-Old Kindergarten Teacher Sues City Over Firing From Queens Public School (newyork.cbslocal.com)
- Latina student faced discrimination by teacher, lawsuit claims (latimesblogs.latimes.com)
- Mom Sues After Girl Allegedly Assaulted at School (foxnews.com)
- Tacoma teachers ending 8-day strike, district says (news.blogs.cnn.com)
- Another gay harassment lawsuit filed in Minnesota (pinkbananaworld.com)
- DOJ Finds A Cause (online.wsj.com)
- NEW: Pennsylvania now requiring all school workers disclose criminal history (justiceforraymond.wordpress.com)
- Teacher who resigned over hidden camera gets $16k (seattletimes.nwsource.com)
- Tacoma teachers defy order; no classes (cnn.com)