On a clip from Jerry Springer…..um, I’m sorry, Dr. Drew Pinsky‘s new television program, “Life Changers,” an attractive (apparently middle-aged) African American woman apologizes to an African American man who admits to hating black womenand refusing to date them (http://www.lctv.com/2011/10/27/too-many-african-american-single-moms/).
The woman gets us out of her chair, tells him that she and other black women want him and others like him and that she apologizes for (apparently) dating outside her race.
He, the man, states that she is “sexy,” and that her apology really isn’t good enough because he doesn’t like her “attitude.”
She offers to hug him in yet another apology.
He hugs her and pats her on her booty. Then the woman turns to the audience and says that she’s just about had enough.
Am I getting this wrong? Who is the fool in this mix? The black man for refusing to acknowledge black women and buying into the programming of institutionalized racism, or the black woman for seeing interracial dating as “verboten” and inherently wrong?
Is Tiger Woods wrong for (apparently) turning his back on black women (at least from what I can tell by his list of mistresses and not seeing a single drop of chocolate there) to any greater extent than black women who scoff at the idea of dating a man (or woman) of another ethnicity or background?
Now, yes, it does appear that Dr. Drew isn’t generating enough income from “Celebrity Rehab,” (as much fun as it is to watch and I’m sure host at his rehab facility), and “Love Line,” and various other media appearances and consulting opportunities; and is going more toward the Dr. Phil/Sally Jessy Raphael/Maury Povich direction with this.
But at least he’s talking about the point and trying to get others to talk about the point (at least on some level) of the societal influences of institutionalized racism on dating habits and mores, and certainly dating double-standards.
Here are some other links to clips from Dr. Drew Pinsky’s program:
- Is Marriage For White People (theratedt.com)
- Should Black Women Date White Men? Um-duh, Hello! (interrace.wordpress.com)
- Interracial Dating-AskMen.com (interrace.wordpress.com)
- Single Black Woman…..What’s your story? (iwillfacethemusic.com)
- Interracial Sitcom Finally Possible on Network TV (interrace.wordpress.com)
- Book on Interracial Marriage Continues to Confound (interrace.wordpress.com)
- Interracial Crimes Can’t Be Colorblind (interrace.wordpress.com)
- Are YOU Against Interracial Dating? (mosmalls.wordpress.com)
- Interracial Dating: At the Movies (interrace.wordpress.com)
- Interracial Love Advice: Kissing Outside The Lines [VIDEO] (hellobeautiful.com)
- The Changing Face of Seeing Race: NPR, Oct. 2011 (alanlechusza.wordpress.com)
- Unwed Black Women and Interracial Marriage (theroot.com)
- Which Ethnic Groups are Most Accepting of Interracial Marriages? (interrace.wordpress.com)